3.11.2005

slow steps



Yesterday I tried to make a point of calling some old friends that were around when Katie Kobelski passed away two years ago. I wanted to tell people that they were appreciated, loved, and valued. I want to remember her always, and remember also that friends may not always be around. One of the legacies she has left me with is a sense of perspective and appreciation for what I have.

I mostly left messages; but that was ok. I told co-workers and my roommate, startling them, that I valued them. The only person I actually talked to was Kati Hultman, and I had to explain a seemingly random call to her. It's not really like a holiday, perhaps a day of rememberance and celebration. She told me that she liked to think of March 10th not as the day Katie died, but as the day she was reborn.

***

I went to the Friday night gathering of the Community of the Twelve Tribes tonight here in Manitou. I have not felt the Spirit of God that strongly in a long time. They cooked wonderful, organic foods, played music, and danced. They are a people filled with joy, where teenagers aren't surly and children obey their parents. They look you in the eye when they speak with you. They are a people in love with God, and I am quickly falling in love with them.

I have found a body of believers with which to fellowship while on this leg of my journey. Now all I need is to figure out how to make more than $9 an hour, get a pet, and get myself to the point of being able to hike the entire incline in one trip. If only I didn't need oxygen....

No comments: