12.03.2006

To the Indianapolis Star

Dear Editor,

I am a member of a performing arts ensemble that found itself rehearsing today out of St. Luke's UMC on 86th. After spending several hours in the building, I exited with my mother to the parking lot, tossing her the keys so I could take a much needed nap on the ride back to Hendricks County. As we approached my vehicle, she asked me why my window had been left down, and then we both realized together that in fact it was broken, not down, and my dash was torn out. My vents were broken and my stereo was gone- glass shards littered the ground and the interior of my vehicle.

After initial shock and a little sadness, I started trying to gather my wits; fortunately my theif didn't have many. My Daytimer sat out in the open, zipped, still full of my credit cards and money. Turns out all he or she got was in fact the stereo, which appears to have put up a little bit of a fight.

So why do I need to tell you all this, dear Editor, and readers? Because I have no idea how to get in touch with this other human who linked themself to me in this act. But I want them to know something: I forgive you. I'm sorry about whatever circumstances are causing you to steal. I mean it. I'm poor now, but I've been poorer, and I know it hurts. I know sometimes we do things to make ourselves feel better for a little while, and some of those things cost money. Sometimes we have kids who want Christmas presents and we can't even afford to buy them new shoes. I'm sorry because one day you may regret this, and nothing will undo what you did today. I'm sorry that we aren't both a little different, because who knows how else we could have been linked other than this theft of a stereo that I'm sorry to say I'm pretty sure you won't get much money for. I wish you had someone in your life that could help you; maybe you do. Maybe that person will show you this letter. But I want you to know that it's alright. And I hope whatever made you do it gets better so you don't have to do it again.

Insurance isn't covering it, but I'll make it work. I hope you're ok.

-Liza Swart

No comments: