7.11.2005

The adventures of Jeff and Mahgrit- a play in three acts

So my family has been out this past week, visiting from Indiana. And a million other things happened.

ACT 1: THE GAL FROM DOWN UNDAH

Margaret Ward, a friend of Brian's from Australia, was out visiting for a couple of weeks. Or, as she would teach me to say, Mahgrit from Melbin, currently doing work on her Ph.D. at Melbin Yuni. I taught her to say, "Brian, you're full of crap," in her best, squashed-vowel American brogue. I hung out with her a couple of times while she was here, the best of which was over the fourth, which totally entranced her. What she couldn't get over was the "America" garb we clothe ourselves with. She said if anyone did that in Australia, they would be thought a tourist, or laughed at, or both. The cool thing was taking her out and parking Jeff (my Trooper) on south Wadsworth, where we could see all the fireworks displays from Golden to Castle Rock at the same time. Mahgrit had certainly never seen that many at once before. She also ran that night for the first time in ten years, and all eight of us piled on the top of my Trooper and sat for the best view of the staggered finales.

I also got to break Mahgrit's massage virginity while she was here. That was interesting. It's always funny to me how many clothes people wear the first time they get a massage, then by massage #3 they're buck naked almost before they hit the table. I'm down with modesty, don't get me wrong. I had just never had someone wear a skirt on my table before. She later promised me a place to live in Melbin, should I continue my moving-west-only game, and taught me that ocker (ahkah) means really outback-type people or accents- think crocodile dundee. Brian and I taught her what gringo means. And bathers are swimsuits.
So, good times were had by all.

(entre'acte)

No comments: