2.23.2005

the dream

I woke up this morning to an incredibly full bladder and an incredibly lifeless, numb left arm. I slept so hard I don't think I changed positions all night. None of the coins in my pocket had fallen out. I kind of like/hate when a body part gets that numb, that you have to drag it with your other arm and be sure you don't fall back on it and snap it because it honestly can't move. It's kind of like finding out for about 15 seconds what it must feel like to be inside of a corpse's body.

I dreamt last night that I was being pursued by someone I didn't know, someone who looked like my brother. Then I was in a house and there was my real brother, in the back bedroom, using a sewing machine. He opened a window and let me out and I ran back to the pursuer's house and changed all the locks before he returned. Then I lived there.

Sometimes things aren't what they first appear to be. People, groups, towns, homes, townhomes. The truth of the matter is to think about groups of people all at once is to minimize them as individuals so that they can be grasped as a group. It's really frightening and wonderful and overwhelming to think there are over 6 billion people all as dynamic as everyone else out there. It makes it hard to have any categories. They may look like your brother, but your real brother is who let you out of the window.

No comments: