8.29.2005

finishing certain things, starting certain others



I'm taking a break from completing massage homework. I intend to re-begin this finishing in about 6 minutes.

Other things I've been in the business of finishing as of late are things like David Sedaris' Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, which I really enjoyed. Laughing at someone else's satirical writing about what at times amounts to be an impossibly sad life is comforting in a detatched-sadistic way. It reminds me that other people are as odd as I am, and I will grow to be more so as I get older. Knowing that somehow there is still art imbedded in this stark ugliness of humanity is one of the more beautiful parts of being alive at all.

I'm also about 20 pages off from finishing Uncle Jack's On the Road, which I should have read long ago. I feel like a long lost neice, following in the footsteps of a man I never knew, but share genetics with, of the mental sort. How many times I have lost myself in those pages! With the whole world creaking and shaking in the mad glory of the Denver or San Fransisco night, I find myself entranced, if only sitting on the silent porch swing preferring his words to the mountain view set before me. In discovering Kerouac, I discover myself.

As to beginning things, my life with IAC is definitely off and running. I attended again yesterday morning, and enjoyed an hour long sermon that seemed to only take about 10 mintues. This time the ceremony was held at an outside botanical gardens on the west side of the Springs, facing the mountains. Though I may love them, stained glass windows had nothing on our backdrop yesterday morning. I feel so blessed to find truth in an intellectual setting, this is the marriage of my two natures that I long for. Not the black and the white, but the heart and the mind.



Other beginnings include a torrid love affair with Mr. Sufjan (SOOF-yan) Stevens, with whom I am beginning a low-level obsession. Yes, I know I've already written about him, but there is so much good going on here BEYOND BELIEF that I feel the need to yawp a little more. I plan on buying a couple more of his albums today. I really need to save money, but I keep buying books and music. They're just so important.

No comments: