9.01.2005

open letter from the maté factor



To my fellow Americans-
To my fellow Christians-
To my fellow humans, spread out in vast innumerable ways across the globe-

My mindset is far too small. After 9/11 I became jaded with the way my country was run. Here we find ourselves again on the shoreline of our understanding, with reality crashing all around us, breaking down the levees long after the flashpoint of the storm has blown through. I do not now intend to claim perfection, but instead come to this: I know very little. Being born a child of privilege by virtue of my citizenship and socioeconomic bracket and even the color of my skin came to me as anything else might. Not that any of these make me superior-- indeed, I am low in this world, among many who are more noble in spirit than I could ever be. But in trying to not think of myself more highly than I ought, I have been throwing away the vastness of who I am, with an equally vast outlook to all that I find around me.
We are not all wrong, though some of our thinking is. My perception of the way things are must be soft, must be open, before I can expect change from anything with which I am dissatisfied. I must believe in the inherent desire for good in all men. Not the ability, but the desire. I must acknowledge that we are all yet redeemable. All of us. And we are even through this process being redeemed.
May I have eyes to see, and ears to hear, and a mind to understand; especially in these, our darkest hours.

Peace be with you.
Liza

No comments: