11.01.2005

a new month begins, and I am called old



Hello friends.

There are several topics at hand, and I feel the need to share them all, in no particular order.

Last Thursday, my favorite buddy played at The Soiled Dove in Denver. She was fabulous. I'm telling you people, the fact that I love this kid has nothing to do with how great she is. Ok, maybe 1%. But seriously, she means business, and she means it seriously. Check out www.katelaurelsmith.com or www.myspace.com/katelaurelsmith. I took the picture below of her, and it is one of my faves.



So that is another, more minor subject- I really like taking pictures right now. But I don't really have time to do it. I mostly just use buddy's camera phone. Perhaps I will post a retrospect of them all on here soon. But no expectations!

I am getting all kinds of crap ready for my grad school application. It should be a really nice portfolio of all of my kinds of creativity by the time I'm done. I'm including a tape of "The Lesson," the show I directed my junior year at Huntington, along with the production book from that show, my creative writing portfolio, and an eleven track disc I am currently recording in my apartment with Buddy's equipment. It's "Living with Ghosts" kind of rough, but probably won't be half as good. I don't care. I like making up 80's BGVs and playing the harmonica badly. I occasionally wish I had a pet, the kind that would make soft sounds in the background during the outtro. I felt like including some of my creative writing here:

Zen Dentist


I think it’s when you
weren’t quite sure what to do with your tea-
If you should sit it down or
If you should hold onto it
while we stood talking-
I think that might have been when it started.

You always seemed to want to devour me
whenever you came through the door-
I was at work and so we could only talk
for brief snatches of time
but believe me, I wanted to be eaten.

I would study the back of your neck
while I worked on restocking retail
glass cups, soy milk, chai concentrate-
You were studying teeth
And suddenly I began to worry I might have a fang—
But I wasn’t really worried, because
you never stared at my teeth
or my chest when you were talking to me—

Only my eyes.

And we could talk about whatever,
Asia or music or whatever,
and it didn’t really matter because we
weren’t talking to talk, really-
we were just talking to be talking to each other.

And every night alone in my bed
I’d lie awake and dream
of Zen, and teeth, and you.

****

In other, more political news:

Rosa Parks died. That makes me sad in a very selfish way- she definitely deserved to go, she was 92. However, I would have really liked to talk with that woman. Even for like 20 minutes. I mean, good grief. She was Rosa Parks. Seriously.

Charles and Camilla are evidently hanging out in NY today with other, cooler peeps. Americans don't really care. Here is some galluping I found in the Yahoo! news that literally made me laugh out loud about the royal visit and idiotic Yankees:
British papers took note of a USA Today/CNN/Gallup Poll, which found 59 percent of respondents saying they were "not at all interested" in the visit, 22 percent were "not too interested," 13 percent were "somewhat interested" and 6 percent were "very interested."

I wonder who the six percent are.

Halloweening this year included pumpkin carving, tofu dinner, pumpkin seed roasting, passing out of candy and watching Susan Sarandon in "The Hunger" with Brooke and Stephanie. We took some killer photos with Beth's camera- hopefully at some point in life I will have access to those images, in which case I will certainly post them all for you viewers at home. Let me say, "The Hunger" is a wack movie. Brooke went down to her dungeon/apartment to get some scary videos for us to watch, and she came back with this early 80's vampire flick and Tori Amos' videos from '91 to '98. Honestly, I can't tell you which was creepier. All in all, the tofu and the pumpkin seeds were the best parts of the night.

Well, time to end this enormous mother of a blog. Everyone everywhere enjoy your Noviembre. El dia de los muertos! Fiesta!

1 comment:

lcduplatt said...

here are some scary videos I found for you to watch...why run to the cellar? Enjoy! Scary Videos