12.06.2005

Every va-halley shall be exah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ahlted



So I've been listening to Handel's Messiah all day, reminiscing about my performances (3 years worth) of the masterpiece at good old HC. Here are some of the highlights, as I remember them:

1. Ben Kendall singing the tenor solo; the subject line for this posting will always be burned into my memory with his clear tone.
2. Dr. Fulbright directing my freshman year and throwing the baton during the performance- twice- over her shoulder into the audience when things moved into the allegro stage of the game.
3. The year Dr. Killian directed, because he would speed up "Refiner's Fire" until Janice K. turned purple and almost passed out. The smile on his lips and the gleam in his eye was priceless.
4. Remembering, even now, our cues to stand- "the glory of the Loo-(stand)-oord, is risen upon thee" booming from the contralto.
5. The fact that I still remember about 98 percent of the words and melody lines.
6. Realizing in that sacred, dark space, as the chamber orchestra coaxed the Pastoral Symphony from their wood and strings, how lucky I was to be in this company of people, singing this music to end all music, preparing for the arrival to end all arrivals.

1 comment:

Megs said...

Will it have a happy ending???

Wait, there are picture of me on a plane somewhere? That's kinda scary.