9.16.2006

200

This is what I do.
Deep breath
Center.
Warm hands reach out
to touch the back
on this table.

Oil.
Smooth,
or resisted
the expanse is covered just the same.

Just the same.

Work along ribs
the latissimus dorsi
the great knobbled spine
forever separating the two halves
one
from
the other.

The apex of the neck-
the great head
resting on its axis.
Resting
here in my hands.

Rock.
Rock.
Roll.

The cleft between
erectors and spine
those long, sinuous muscles
providing bookends
to that great, bony protector.

That joint beyond all joints.
The SI.
Forever joining
perambulators
with
everything else.

Muscle
bone
hinge

I stand amazed.

Here
wrapped in these sheets
humanity bares herself for me
and I for her
no glove separates these blunted nails
these stunted tips
these calloused prints--
there is no bridge to cross.
Just skin and skin.

And this is what I do?
I stand amazed.

1 comment:

loofrin said...

i liked this. very nice.