9.18.2006

didn't see the headlight

Ahhhhhh, Monday, bloody Monday. These are my long days, Mondays and Thursdays- today made especially so by the 7 am meeting that leads were required to attend. Looks like I'll be in the cafe Wednesday all day, which will be fun.... mostly because I know I'll be able to leave and not be stuck there permanently. I remember working at the Pavilions store last year, looking out at those lucky ducks cruising around on the book floor in their normal clothes. I was stuck behind a grinder and sanitation pails, dried milk on my shoes and apron around my waist. Quad venti breve? Sure, no problem. Who cares if I know about Flaubert?

As an aside though, I love working for Barnes and Noble. I'm dead serious. I wouldn't be in retail in any other job; they are the bees knees, people.

So today when I was driving home from the clinic, I hit a bird in Plainfield. It was flying so slowly, in a straight line away from my windshield ahead of me, and I hit it anyway. I didn't mean to! It was just reluctant about moving quickly and then thunk, it smacked the windshield and lolled on my hood for a few moments before rolling over the side of the troops. It made me sad. I think it was a sparrow.

It made me remember that one time when Draco brought me a nearly dead bird. I think I'm going to categorically say I'm not in favor of them.

No comments: