1.06.2005

1500 miles away from what you don't even know



So I pulled into town a couple of days ago, and let me say it's good to be out west. I've been staying in Denver with my best friend, sleeping in late, eating a tray of gummies, and spending time at the local mom & pop coffeeshop, Common Grounds on west 32nd. We're over here tonight at an open mic, listening to a girl named Quinn cover Waterdeep, Ben Folds, and Counting Crows (in that order).

I drove down to the Springs today to get a few things set with my transfer from my old Starbucks in Indy to a new location. (See logo above.) Looks like I'll fit in quite handily at 31st & Colorado, which has a drive-through unlike my old store. It's also a bit bigger than my old store, as well as busier. Only time will tell if I can keep up to the increased demand of mochas.
I think I'm falling in love with the town, however- even just driving through today felt right. Back to the thought of drive-throughs for a second, I really hate the idea. Especially in coffeeshops. These establishments exist for the purpose of providing a place to create peace and pause in the day. A drive-through nullifies this purpose. There is no moment created, except the one where you roll down the window to order, pay, and grab your double tall breve latte. A drive through is an antithesis of a coffeeshop. If you can't take enough time to even walk into the establishment and buy your drink and then walk out again, something is wrong with your lifestyle. Anyway, enough of that tirade for now.

The drive out wasn't that bad- the traffic beyond Kansas City was scarce to say the least. There was actually a span of 50 miles once I got into Colorado when I didn't see another single car traveling westbound. The weather was somewhat icy/blizzardy, which was probably most of the reason I was so isolated. Blinking orange digital signs, which read "icy road" were spread along the way, which was a huge help- otherwise, I would have assumed that despite the swirling snow and caustic winds, the roads were in pristine condition. I actually love driving in winter weather; I got my driver's liscence in December during my Junior year of high school, when I lived in Michigan. I am in my most native element with snow on the roads.

To finish up with my playlist from the trip, the second day on the road found the following in Al's player:

Kitchen Radio- Peter Mulvey (a finish-up from Monday)
The (almost) Best of Kris Delmhorst- a Brad Etter compilation
Lost & Found- Griffin House
Films For Radio- Over the Rhine
Busted Stuff- Dave Matthews Band
Live from Luther College, disc 1- Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds
The Green CD- John Mayer
Fall Mix Fix- compilation by my best friend, circa September 2004

The most important item on my agenda in the last few days has nothing to do with my trip, or music in my car, or least of all Starbucks. My mom called me the night that I got in to Denver, as I was driving along Speer Avenue, to tell me that my 18 year old cousin Katie had attempted suicide the day before. After fights with both parents in a 24 hour period (who have been long divorced), a classmate found her in the bathroom at high school with slit wrists, banging her head against the wall. At moments like this in life, when it seems that an eternity hangs in the balance, it does. I have realized in the last several days that I'm quite sure that my cousin has never known peace, rolling like a river over everything that slowly gnaws at her. She has never felt the balm that heals all wounds, the grace that covers over everything she hates about herself and everyone else, making everything whole and beautiful. She has never felt the comfort of being loved in spite of ugliness, the joy of being treasured despite meanness of spirit, or the eternal rest found only in eternal arms. She is not a child of God, a sister of Christ, a receiver of the inheritance which has already been paid for. The fact that she is my cousin has just made me think more about her in particular, but I have been thinking about everyone. There is nothing more important- just when I get caught up in my life, in my trips or my CDs, something comes along and grounds me. I need a harsh grounding occasionally, and this certainly served the purpose well. There is nothing more important. Nothing will matter more in my life- my accomplishments, my failures, my friends, lovers or children. There is nothing more important than finding myself in Christ. For it is there that I will find myself. This is what will give everything else meaning, not the other way around. I can have no greater purpose in life than to know Christ and to make Him known; in this I will never have any regrets, no matter what my profession or location. There is nothing more important.

No comments: