1.18.2005

Posting nonsense

Much to my dismay, upon finally being able to get here with rather unreliable wireless internet, I had posted my previous post about 614 times. It seems all of those times when I was continually trying to post before, when I was told "page unable to load," it was actually posting. How cyberspacially embarrasing.

The good news of the day is that Coffee & Tea Zone on N. Tejon has wireless internet that works much better than another unnamed location. And cheaper italian sodas, and plays a radio station that belongs in my dad's car (the Beach Boys, Elvis, the Monkees, back to back). Home in sound and space; the kicker is that they even have boba (otherwise known as bubble) tea, a Taiwanese invention that has cropped up in the US recently. It is made with any sort of tea or milky chai, and includes large, round balls of brown tapioca. Mmmm.

Two nights ago I went to see "House of Flying Daggers," a beautiful Chinese film produced and acted by the same team that put together "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "Hero." I can't get over how incredibly gorgeous it was, and how chubby, inflexible and European it made me feel. My favorite part was how the daggers themselves were almost boomerang in effect at times, like a precursor to the actual wooden V of down under. I'm glad all the people in charge were women. Though I lack their martial arts expertise or quality of aim with deadly weapons, we at least had that in common. And the fact that we're humans. I recommend everyone seeing this film. Even if just for the Echo game.

I've started reading literature of world religions this week. I began with the Bhagavad Gita, and moved on to the Tao te Ching afterwards- it's amazing the accuracy and newness which with they strike at certain fragments of truth. In the latter, I found myself substituting "Christ" every time it read "the Tao," and found beauty and worship unrivaled only by the Bible itself. I find it hard to believe that God cannot be honored in some way by these beautiful texts. If anyone out there has experience in these books, please leave a comment or email me; I would love to learn more and I find, for the first time in my life, I am teacherless except for my own curiosity.

Take care, all. Remember, naked we came into this world, and naked we will go- everything we have is always a gift, and always temporary.

No comments: