4.04.2005

discs, crackers, cats

DISCS.



Last week I got my preordered, signed copy of Over The Rhine's newest release, "Drunkard's Prayer," in the mail. It was like coming home to an album I'd already cried and laughed over. The insides are peppered with photographs of the recording sessions, held at Karin and Linford's home in Cincinatti. In a way, the album almost feels like a farewell of sorts. I'd still probably say that Ohio is their best work, but this disc is intensely personal, and it leaves you feeling like you were invited in to their house for the whole process. Karin and Linford are incredibly transparent about their lives and their marriage, and the album reflects this in every phrase and melodic line. It has quickly found its way onto my top ten of all time list.



I also acquired Beck's "Guero" last week, purchased on the day it was released at Starbucks, courtesy of my 30% discount. It is a great compliment to the above-mentioned CD, partially because OtR is so mellow, and Beck so isn't. I described it most acurately last week as a mix between The Beta Band and Jurassic 5, with a little bit of Cake thrown in for good measure. The insert itself reminds me of Bjork meets Yoshitomo Nara. It put me into a decidedly Joe Urschel vibe. Who wouldn't want lots of sampling, lyrics about abuelitas, and unidentifiable noises popping in and out unexpectedly? Not me. I'm on the Guero train.

CRACKERS.

I'm hanging out uncontrollably at the Maté Factor, pretending to be studying but actually blogging. Ben just tried to eat seven saltine crackers without water, in a minute's time. He got through five, and then had to leave the booth to go puke them up in the bathroom after gagging himself with copious amounts of crumbs. I took a picture midway through, but alas, I have no digital camera, so y'all will have to wait till I devlop the whole thing before you get in on the action. Physically, it's impossible to acheive this cracker eating feat- but it sure is fun to watch people try.

CATS.

I adopted a black shorthair male last week, named Gizmo. I was excited to own a pet. After a series of unfortunate events, I took him back today. He was very high maintenance and ill mannered, and I am unable able to cope with either at this point in my life. Plus, Draco and Jonathan/Orion (Kate's new cat) both tried to kill him. I figured he would be a lot better off in a different home. Nonetheless, I did cry when I took him back to the shelter today. A lesson learned- don't try to be a cat person when all you really want is an affectionate beagle named Lucy. And a fenced yard.

Well, off to bed. 5 am Starbucks calls my name. The good news- I start my training this Thursday at Adam's Mountain Cafe here in Manitou. I'm geeked. I can walk to work, make more money, get free food and organic products at wholesaler cost.

1 comment:

Ash Green said...

Thank you so much for such an informative piece of information :)
If anyone interested similar one's have a look here
pet reviewz

Thanks