4.25.2005

no, thank you

The jury has returned from deliberations, and I'll have to say, I really enjoy working at Adam's. After a full week of training, I feel capable, appreciated, and empowered. It's good to feel this way; I haven't in a long time at work. If ever.

This thing happened today though that really bothered me. There was a family of six, an older couple, a younger couple, and the younger couple's kids- 3 generations, 3 boys, 3 girls, very symmetrical. They were total Fips, very snobby and acting somewhat irritated with me the entire time, like my presence was nothing more than a zit on the lovely face of their life. And then when I brought the bill, they were trying to separate it out; the older couple put down cash and then the younger woman, the mom of the family, was trying to figure out how much should come off of her credit card, and the husband just barked at her. "Just take the cash, give her [sort of a sideways sneer at me inserted here] the card!" and the woman obeyed him like a humbled dog would obey its master.

If it were me, if I was married and I was spoken to like an animal in front of my children, parents, and strangers, it would happen once. Only once, and then it would never happen again. He would get divorce papers, counseling requests, or a slap across the face, but it would be the only time it ever happened. I do not have any problem with allowing the husband to assume some measure of authority in the relationship, but the marriage is a partnership. There is discussion, there is argument, there is resolve. But there is no humiliation in public, or being fippy to each other. ughugh. My current desire to remain unmarried is renewed with vigor.

Sorry to all you male friends out there who are caring and supportive and wonderful. This is a comment made in a general and not specific sense. And women are not innocent in this matter. Every time we lay down and take it, we prove ourselves to be the dogs they think we are. Assertiveness and self-confidence are required, as well as a desire to be treated with respect. Just because the idiot has money and your children can play with color game boys and drink expensive organic milk does not make it worth it. I'm not jumping on the bra-burning wagon here. I like bras, don't get me wrong. I just like women, too; being one and being friends with many, I see all we are capable of- raising children, owning businesses, teaching, earning doctorates (despite what the president of Harvard may say to the contrary), creating art and music and expressing the beautiful souls we were given by a God who loves and values us just as much as our male counterparts. We can do more than just roar, but to let a good one echo across the plains now and again sure is gratifying.

And then to completely undercut everything, I will add that I met a cute boy tonight down at the Maté Factor. Also one who understood everything I was trying to say without talking, and told me almost immediately that he a) lived in a cave b) loved talking about spirituality c) would like me to visit his cave and d) is celibate and believes in keeping the body pure. We'll see what develops.

2 comments:

~Jan said...

Keep us posted on the cute boy. And do you suppose anyone reading this knows what the words "fips" or "fippiness" mean?

Liza said...

you do, which is all that matters to me. :)