2.24.2006

bikes and spears! bikes and spears!

Hopefully someone like Jonny or Paco will read this and find my title for this post funny. The amazing thing is that it is relevant.

I've been swimming lately; today back in the pool around lunchtime and up over 1k yards- about 5 times that much, and I'll be back in shape. Heh. Fortunately I have a few months. There was a moment today though, around 8oo or so, where I hit my stride. Chop, chop, chop, breath, hips twisting along behind me, knees moving and feet pushing against the lovely cool water. It felt good for a few moments. I even did a little sprinting, but caught a bad turn on my last 50 and just about bottomed out. I'd forgotten how much those take the wind out of your sails. Oh well. I remember now.

So afterwards, I came back and said hello to my grandmother before heading home with my chlorinated suit. She mentioned that she wanted to go see "The End Of The Spear," a story about Jim Elliot and his buddies, and wouldn't mind going tonight. Ok, sounds fine, and we ended up going, after I once again forayed into the kitchen and emerged semi victorious with a beef/broccoli concoction. Eunice and I caught the 7pm show at the new megaplex theatre about 10 minutes from here. Now, don't get me wrong, I won't be nominating the production for any Oscars or even Golden Globes anytime soon (since I'm doing the nominating this year), but nonetheless, it was good, and rather impressive for a Christian project. Whether it was intentional or not, most of the Americans came off rather like idiots, which I found pleasing in some odd way. The main actor was just a little hammy from time to time, and all of the indigenous actors were (duh) the best of the entire cast, and the really standout portions of the film were when there wasn't any whitey around.

What I guess I'm saying is, if you have the eight bucks, go see it. There are some really nice moments, and a lot of mediocre ones. Heartstrings get pulled, so don't say I didn't warn you. Just don't have high expectations, and you'll be pleasantly pleased. With pleasing.

And then when I got home, there was an eggplant colored Specialized Stumpjumper in my garage. Jeff must have come while Eunice and I were at the film. Smashing, I must say- perhaps I'll do a little bit of smashing myself tomorrow, when I break my face on Gamble's Run over at Washington Twp. Park.

Hope you are all well, my little ducklings.

1 comment:

jonny said...

transmissions, ahoy! i'm glad you are safe. i'm glad you are sound.